With remarkable robustness the Thermo Scientific™ Orbitrap Exploris™ 480 mass spectrometer is an advanced, intelligence-driven instrument, built for ultimate performance and ease of use.
Data certainty is assured with high-resolution accurate mass (HRAM) selectivity and spectral quality. Add to this intelligent data acquisition, simplified operation and maintenance, then rich, high-confidence insights become remarkably accessible.
Sample throughput is increased through robust performance and automation, with minimal need for user intervention; and with a compact footprint, the instrument conserves laboratory bench space without compromising on performance.
The Orbitrap Exploris 480 can run a wide variety of experiments with the highest performance.
The new mass spectrometer has unique capabilities which impart extra speed, depth, and certainty to enable you to run more experiments or to gain deeper insights into your research. Instrument performance highlights include:
- 480,000 Max Resolution
- Up to 40 Hz scan speed
- m/z 40 to 6000 mass range and up to m/z 8000 with the BioPharma option
- >5000:1 dynamic range
- Mass accuracy: Internal <1 ppm RMS; External: <3 ppm RMS
- Broader range of experiments with multiple scan modes: data-dependent acquisition (DDA), data independent acquisition (DIA), spectral multiplexing (MSX), TopN and new TopSpeed (TopS), BoxCar DIA and DDA experiments, tSIM, tSIM MSX, ddMS/MS, targeted MS/MS
Thermo Scientific™ OptaMax™ NG electrospray (HESI) ion source housing is fully compatible with the Thermo Scientific™ H-ESI II (Heated ESI) and Thermo Scientific™ EasySpray™ sources. The ESI, APCI, and APPI probes can be used with the H-ESI II source.
Like what you are learning?
The source housing supports the optional Thermo Scientific™ EASY-IC™ source (and field-upgradable) and also fits the ThermoScientific™ FAIMS Pro™ interface. In addition, new USB ports offer future expandability, and even charge your smart phone.
The new Orbitrap Exploris 480 has a number of benefits for quantitative experiments.
Intelligent data acquisition methods—for example Thermo Scientific™ SureQuant™ Method internal standard (IS) triggered targeted protein quantitation and Thermo Scientific™ TMT™ Isobaric Mass Tagging Kits for multiplexed MS2 quantitation—leverage the new levels of instrument performance to deliver high-confidence, high throughput quantitative workflows with less optimization and effort. Breakthroughs in method intelligence include:
- Improved limits of detection (LODs) and real-time management of analysis with SureQuant internal standard (IS) triggered targeted protein quantitation
- Increased peptide detection and faster scan acquisition rates for TMT multiplexing with Thermo Scientific™ TurboTMT intelligent data acquisition mode, powered by Φ-SDM
- Superior MS/MS spectral quality and TMT quantitation accuracy with Thermo Scientific™ Theoretical Precursor Envelope Fitting (Precursor Fit)
- Wider dynamic range for enhanced identification and quantification with data-dependent acquisition (DDA) and data-independent acquisition (DIA) with BoxCar acquisition scans
The new Orbitrap Exploris 480 has a number capabilities make the instrument robust and easy to service.
Mass spectrometer hardware has been designed to address laboratory requirements for maximum up-time and easy serviceability. Exceptional end-to-end robustness minimizes the need for intervention, and any required maintenance tasks are streamlined, ensuring highest throughput from consistent system performance.
- Quadrupole mass filter contamination is minimized through an ultra-robust ion source, with simplified probe capillary and ion transfer optics
- Time between maintenance is extended with low maintenance segmented quadrupole rods, using patented configuration switching mode without sacrificing performance
- Robustness is improved with Thermo Scientific™ Ion Routing Multipole (IRM) trapping, which focuses and routes ions more effectively
- Automatic system bake-out following any instrument power-down or failure saves time by getting the system ready to run samples, faster
- Space required for the pumps, noise, heat, and the number of parts requiring maintenance is reduced with a reliable six-stage pumping system controlled by a single turbo pump which also lowers the cost of ownership
- We offer a complete portfolio of services designed to maintain the sensitivity, precision and accuracy of your mass spec system. From self-service to full service, select the level that suits your labs unique requirements
In summary, for a superb customer experience, the Thermo Scientific Orbitrap Exploris 480 mass spectrometer was re-engineered from the ground up to deliver extraordinary performance by providing:
- Ease of obtaining information rich, high-confidence results
- Flexibility with new capabilities and levels of experimental performance
- Qualitative and a new level of quantitative throughput and confidence in data
- Robustness, uptime, and serviceability for achieving the highest throughput
- User experience designed with new or less experienced users in mind