Does your lab work with a variety of samples that need to be analyzed like acids, water, rocks, or maybe even stardust?
Performing multi-element determination of unknown samples containing major, minor and trace elements across a wide range of sample types can be a stressful proposition: How do you set up a suitable analysis? What inlet system do you need? When you run it through the analyzer, you’ll get data, but is it correct? Are there any interferences in your spectra?
HR-ICP-MS from Thermo Fisher Scientific™ solves these challenges in four unique ways.
- It uses high resolution so samples can be very diverse because the nature of the matrix composition doesn’t matter when using high mass resolution. The Thermo Scientific™ Element™ Series HR-ICP-MS easily separates the element of interest from interfering components.
- Thanks to high sensitivity and matrix robustness, the Element Series HR-ICP-MS is designed for performance in complicated matrix loads. It handles signals ranging from ultra-trace to 100% of the sample matrices and can assess any matrix. The Element XR comes with an extra Faraday detector extending the dynamic range by three orders of magnitude, making it an ideal tool for analysis of elements with low abundance.
- By using straightforward analytical methods, it’s easy to set up reliable measurement protocols. There’s no need for complicated method development.
- It allows for easy coupling to various sample inlet systems, such as a laser ablation device for in-situ elemental analysis, or a chromatography device for speciation studies of mercury, arsenic, sulphur, selenium and phosphorus.
How would all this capability play out in application?
Semicon: The semiconductor industry can analyze nearly every element in the periodic table in ultra-pure water, mineral acids, inorganic chemicals and organic solvents with minor method development effort. And other than dilution, no sample preparation is needed.
Like what you are learning?
- JKC is focusing on high purity chemical production and detects metal elements of lower concentrations. Challenges of interferences arising from microanalysis are overcome by using high-resolution ICP-MS in a cleanroom environment.
- Read the application note on the analysis of semiconductor grade mineral acids.
Geosciences: In geology, where sensitivity is key, the HR-ICP-MS allows for sub-ppq detection limits. It also allows for elemental analysis in geological materials, either in-situ by laser ablation or in solution mode.
- Read about applications of a high-performance ion detection system to the analysis of geological samples by HR-ICP-MS.
- Read about more geochemical applications using HR- ICP-MS: Pb-isotope analyses at ultra-trace concentrations, linking trace metal contents of near-shore waters to biological cycles, determining colloidal associations of an enormous range of elements and the investigation of metamorphic rock evolution by trace element analysis and high precision REE patterns.
Material Sciences: For the materials industry, the HR-ICP-MS offers robust matrix elemental analysis, and chromatography for speciation studies.
- With high-resolution ICP-MS, the MEET Battery Research Centre can now access the analyte of interest, phosphorus. Watch the video or read the case study.
Whether you need top-end research or 24/7 production control, with HR-ICP-MS, you can measure everything…in everything, and be assured of generating clean spectra.
To learn more, visit thermofisher.com/HR-ICP-MS.